Saturday, May 11, 2013

a bit over... half way there

I'm not the biggest Bon Jovi fan, so I couldn't post this when I was exactly half way there.

Radiation is going well!  4 weeks down, 3 to go.  Every Monday I meet with Dr. Eisbruch and this past Monday he asked me if I was losing any hair yet.  I responded 'no' as I reached up to touch the buzzed part of my hair from my surgery and brought my hand back with a clump of hair in it.  I change my answer to yes.  Yes, I am definitely losing hair.  I recalled seeing little hairs on my jacket and thinking it was dog hair.  I don't have a dog.  It was my hair.  Whoops.  I haven't lost much yet, and hopefully I won't lose much more.  Any hair loss will be localized to where they are doing the radiation, so just the hair that is struggling to grow after being shaved twice.
I expected to have more side effects at this point but I hardly have any.  I have the slight hair loss and then a sunburn/tan in the area where the radiation hits my skin.  So I have a circular tan that covers a bit of my cheek and then most of my neck.  It's so obvious to me, but I don't think anyone else will notice it.
This past week I was babysitting and one of the little girls asked me what happened to my neck.  I told her I had surgery and she asked why and if I was okay and whatnot.  It was so innocent and really quite cute.  Kids are so curious and so accepting of the things they find out.  She just wanted to make sure that I was okay.  It was starkly different from the day I was on BYU campus after my surgery to withdraw from all my classes and take care of other business.  The day a random girl stood behind me and asked "What is wrong with your neck?"  Not so innocent and non-judgmental and cute.  If only we could have the innocence of little children for longer.


No comments:

Post a Comment