Monday, February 11, 2013

first day at university of michigan

Things went so well today.
My parents and I drove to Ann Arbor for my first couple appointments at the University of Michigan.  Their hospital is amazing and I knew I needed to go to a cancer research hospital, so this was the place.

My first appointment was with a maxillofacial surgeon, Dr. Ward.  He is a member of my church and so we were connected that way.  It's fantastic because he is an amazing doctor and really hard to get in with otherwise.  We spoke with his fellow, Dr. Kang, for a while before Dr. Ward got there.  They both have their MD and their DDS.  How nuts is that?  So much schooling... and a masters is a daunting thought to me.

After a long walk through the hospital to the cancer center I then saw my oncologist, Dr. Chugh.  She is amazing as well.  She is so helpful and she didn't seem rushed at all, even though she probably was.  This was the appointment I have been anticipating since the beginning of this whole experience.  
See the guy walkin' in the middle, oblivious to a picture being taken?  Gotta love #tomharris.

Apparently I don't have a malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor, like I had been diagnosed in Utah.  The pathologist at UofM looked at all my slides and made a new diagnosis.  I have a 'high grade myxofibrosarcoma'.  Ahhhhh.  The roller coaster continues.  There is a really good thing about this sarcoma.  It is not as aggressive as an MPNST.  A couple not as good things about it though.  It has a really high recurrence rate so I will have to be checked often the rest of my life.  It also is apt to spread to the lungs.  So tomorrow I have an appointment in Livonia for another CT scan to check my lungs for any tumors.  Keep me in your prayers tomorrow and the next couple days.

Most hospitals have a thing called a "tumor board" where a group of doctors meet together to discuss cases.  Wednesday evening the sarcoma tumor board is meeting to discuss my case among others.  How amazing is that?  A group of 10 great doctors discussing my case and what my treatment should be.  It's comforting.  So, Thursday I should have a game plan.  Maybe chemo then surgery then radiation.  Or surgery then radiation... or just radiation.  Who knows? (hopefully the tumor board..)

Overall:  I really trust my team of doctors that I have met thus far.  I am excited to work with them and see a lot of them.  Although I have an inclination I'll be singing a different tune in the next few weeks when I just want to be at home and not at the University Hospital.  Best thing I can do, just stay positive...


And now I've gotta go and melt my brain with The Bachelor.  I'm strangely obsessed.  Anyone else?

11 comments:

  1. You are awesome. Prayers for you! You can beat this :) lots of hugs from England, Sister Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Katie, this is the first I've heard about this. As soon as I saw what it was I immediately thought of Dr. Ward. I met him in a class once at BYU and he's one of the best OMFS surgeons in the country. There's no doubt you'll receive excellent care. Lilian and I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, I love your optimistic spirit and positive attitude. I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

    And I have a weird obsession with the Bachelor too. It's inexplicable, but I'm hooked.

    Hoping for the best news coming your way after your appointment in Livonia. Your team of doctors sounds great. Glad you're with family, but I'll wish for a speedy recovery so you can be back with your friends in Utah soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LJ was judging me because you got me hooked. Tell him not to judge me.

    I love you dear. You'll definitely be in our prayers tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LJ would judge... Don't you judge her LJ! So what if we watch The Bachelor and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo!

      Love you!

      Delete
  5. You're on your way to kicking cancer's keister! Lots of prayers are coming your way for tomorrow :) Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're getting some great care. A panel of doctors getting together to talk about a case...that sounds amazing! Ethan and I visited Megan yesterday, and all of us agreed: you're awesome! Much prayers and love from Utah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie, I'm so glad you got a group of good doctors! You are going to kick this, I just know it! You are an amazing woman and I am so grateful for the time I had to get to know you and see your example of strength! Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie!! I just read all about your life in one big whabaaaam. I had no idea! But I remember you being my angel when I needed one the most this past fall and I hope I can be the same to you. Will you FB message me your phone number?
    P.S. Sometime I scream into my pillow because of Tierra. I'll be watching on Hulu later today :)
    Love, the other Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am thinking of you and praying for you so much. I'm so glad you like your doctors!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your updates! And I am obsessed with the Bachelor, so we have to talk. Who do you think Sean is going to choose?

    ReplyDelete