Friday, February 8, 2013

how we got here...

It's February 8, 2013.  I am at home in Michigan for cancer treatment.  I have what is called a "Malignant Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor".
I think pieces of my journal will suffice for "how we got here".

12/21/2012
According to the Mayan calendar today was supposed to be the last day ever.  It wasn't.  Although I kind of wish it was.
I woke up so sick!  And then it got worse as the day progressed.  All my muscles and joints hurt so bad I couldn't even sleep through it.  My mom took me to the instacare doctor... While we were at instacare the doctor commented on this giant lump on the side of my neck.  I've never noticed it before.  It doesn't hurt at all.  It's just this weird growth.  I need to go get it checked out when I get back to school.

1/3/2013
Today I had a doctors appointment for the lump on my head.  The doctor thinks it is either a cyst or a lymph node.  I have watched far too much 'House' lately and am convinced its cancer (not really, but dramatically so).
1/4/2013
This morning I had an ultrasound appointment for the bump on my head.  It feels way smaller, even Kaylie agrees.
1/8/2013
Today was quite a day... I got a call from my doctor, Dr. Bloink.  He said the ultrasound indicates that it isn't a cyst but some sort of mass.  Talked to the nurse and set up an appointment for a CT scan during my only class today.  The word "mass" kept going through my mind and freaked me out a bit...
1/9/2013
Today was another hard day.  Dr. Bloink called me and said the radiologist sent him a report and it's not a lymph node but rather it is a tumor.  In my mind tumor=cancer.  But that isn't necessarily true.  It is very possible it is benign.  Very probable.  But I was just really scared and I started crying.  I was in my lab and Dr. Grose let me go in her office.  I'm so grateful for her.  So, so grateful.  I am really scared.
1/14/2013
I had my MRI this morning.  It was incredibly uncomfortable.  Definitely not my favorite thing I've ever done.  But I got a disk of the pictures and they are way cool.  Kind of crazy looking.  Really crazy looking actually.
1/16/2013
I had my biopsy today!  It wasn't that bad.  My doctor thinks it is a "neuroblastoma" which isn't that bad!  All it will take is a simple surgery.  Wow.  So many prayers have been said on my behalf.  I am so grateful.  My surgery is scheduled for February 12th.
1/22/2013
My results came in today.  The tumor is malignant.  They are unsure as to what kind of cancer it is... I am feeling so calm.  Like 100%.  I just know that it is going to be alright... Ultimately I trust my Father in Heaven.  I'm not going to lay down and not take any action, but I also know He has a plan.  I've never felt this much trust in Him before... I have cancer!  It is kind of freeing to write it.
1/23/2013
I received a blessing of healing from my bishop tonight.  It was really powerful... I am so grateful to him and how close he is to the Spirit.  More so I am so grateful to my Savior Jesus Christ.  For His plans for me.  For His Atonement and all it enables me to do.
1/25/2013
Here I am... post surgery Katie.  Tumor-less... When I went to operation room Dr. Riddle was just chilling playing on his iPhone.  I think he was bored.  Dr. Riddle thinks the pathologist got it wrong and it is actually benign.  He is way confident about it.  We'll see...

2/1/2013
My pathology report came back today.  I have a malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor.  I'm ticked!  Why is my body doing this?  But I am also trusting.  Heavenly Father loves me.  He has plans for me.  Great plans.  I trust that.  I trust Him.  So here I am.  Katie Harris.  23.5 years old.  Just diagnosed with cancer.  What to do next?


Now I'm on a journey.  This will document it for those that I love that aren't here in Michigan with me. Don't worry, not all of this will be about the cancer, but rather the whole experience.

6 comments:

  1. You're a champion! Pull a loner out on this cancer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Katie, thank you for sharing this. You are a beautiful woman of faith and I feel blessed to have served with you! You go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,
    I will pray for you and hope all goes well. trust in god is all you can do from now and the way the doctors treat it. I believe you can make it!

    Thanks for letting me part of your journey, I am really gonna pray for you Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you are being so open about your faith during this trial. I think it's great you can share this on facebook with the world. (not that it's a good thing you have cancer...) but you are being such a positive example for others. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love you so much. You are so full of grace and humor and I love that about you.
    I can't wait for you to kick cancer's keister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie, my twin---what an inspiring blog you have. Seriously. Thanks for sharing with the world!

    ReplyDelete