Friday, March 1, 2013

from the iPhone

I guess I can write a post. Mind you, it's not going to be long.
As my mom wrote, my surgery went well. It was only 6 hours long and Dr. Ward got the margins he wanted. So he removed about 2cm of muscle and even some bone circling where the tumor had been. He put in a 'flap' from my back onto my neck so there is some tissue there. But... It's all still really hard. It's extremely difficult to hold up my neck. I can't for more than a couple seconds without getting super dizzy and nauseas. I've sat up only twice and wanted to die. I can't feel the left side of my face or ear... And that is permanent. It's all so new and strange.
I guess I'm just feeling whiney because all this is new and strange. Because I'm sick of laying in this dang hospital bed... Always on my right side. Because I'm frustrated that I can't hold up my head on my own. That's a frustrating thing!
But I have a great doctor who checks on me periodically, who prayed for me last night with the Ann Arbor high council. I have nurses that are patient with me, who turn me and adjust pillows around me as long as I am uncomfortable.
I have people praying for me all around the world. Thank you. I'm sure it is making all the difference.

4 comments:

  1. My dear friend, I'm not even sure what to say other than I love you so much. A lot, a lot, a lot of people love you and are praying for you. I'm proud of you for finding the bright side of things, for finding the humor in such a trying situation.

    You are the strongest woman I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are keeping you in our prayers Katie.

    Love, The Hill Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week I visited a sister from my current ward who is in a Boston hospital struggling with a mysterious case of pancreatitis. She is the loving mother of five and the wife of a devoted husband. Her health is, of course, the most important thing in this family's life. Many prayers and fasts have been offered on her behalf. You can imagine, therefore, the relief the family felt on Thursday when the doctors finally determine the source of her illness. Now it is possible for her doctors to plan a course of action which will ultimately return her to full health and activity. It will take a long time. It will be painful for her. She will not eat for six weeks. But, her prospects are bright and her complete recovery is likely.

    Katie, you are on a path to full recovery. You have your whole life ahead of you. You will ultimately have a family of your own. You will be happy and fulfilled. You will be a blessing to many. You can do it.

    I am sure it is frustrating. Don't get too down just because you can't hold your head up right now. You just had surgery on your neck for crying out loud. You're not made of titanium. This stuff takes time. Be patient. It will be okay. You can do it. We are praying for you and fasting for you. Keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so so sorry about the pain and discomfort and frustration and the whole thing. But I know you can do this. Keep looking on the bright side of things and know that lots of people are praying for you and fasting and routing for you. God, your family, friends, and all of Temple Square for starters! Carry on!

    Love,
    Brittany Bohman (Sister Dalton)

    ReplyDelete