Monday, March 4, 2013

news from the inside

So... I haven't washed my hair in nearly a week. I'm not sure if it will come out of the bun on my head or if that will be permanent. Regardless, no pictures of me will appear on this blog. I am far too vain. There is no controlling what my mother puts on Facebook. Actually no controlling my mother in general.

I wake up several times every night. This is mostly because nurses are poking and prodding me for my blood pressure and what not. In fact, two nights ago I scared the nurse pretty bad because my bp was at 77/45. Or something like that. They just wouldn't let me sleep even though I insisted its normal for me. Eventually I convinced them to leave. This morning I was awoken by a group of like 10 doctors. Here to chat and see how I am doing. We play the same games. Connect my finger to my nose, then their finger. Repeat. Switch hands. I haven't been walking too well on my own and they were nervous I have nerve damage. (You know, more nerve damage than them removing a couple of my nerves causing half my head to be numb). But I passed the MRI and their tests. I even walked back from the bathroom on my own today. It may only be about 5 steps away but we all have our own little victories to claim.
My doctors are upset with me because I haven't been eating well. They must not understand how sick I feel whenever I try to eat. How it makes me so nauseas. Or maybe they do understand and they also comprehend a bit more. If I don't eat, I won't heal. If I don't walk, I won't heal.
Conclusion: I need to stop being such a sick baby. I need to eat more and walk more. It's amazing that walking is so difficult to me when a couple months ago I ran two half marathons. And now I need help to walk 15 steps.
I feel like I am progressing at an acceptable rate. Heck, a couple days ago I couldn't walk two steps. Now I can walk five. On my own. I will take that victory and walk with it (at least a couple steps).

6 comments:

  1. Good morning sweet girl! I am glad to see your sense of humor is back with you today. :) I also love seeing the One Direction poster up on your wall- that must make you very happy. :) Each day will get easier- keep trying to get up and you will get stronger. Also, stop being so vain, I need to see your beautiful smile so I know how you are doing, so take a picture of yourself. :) Love you tons and will call today. Love, Sis. Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet your hair is so hot right now, hahaha! You're awesome. I was watching the CES Fireside last night and it was a powerful message by Elder Bednar about having faith and not shrinking back in the face of adversity. You are on of those ordinary people going through ordinary things extraordinarily. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One direction?...Seriously?...

    Very happy to hear you're in good spirits though :)

    -Elliot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie - you are an inspiration to us all. Thank you for being the person that you are and for your example of great faith. You are so beautiful.

    Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie,
    It was so good to visit with you. Your doing great and making such great progress. Keep you happy positive outlook and you will get far. You are a great example for all even tho you may not feel that way sometimes. Baby steps...Many blessings have come your way and I know many more on the way!!!!
    Clover

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an inspiration. My prayers are with you sister! <3 sister walshe xx

    ReplyDelete