Thursday, March 7, 2013

home

Yesterday the doctors gave me the go ahead and released me home.  Driving on the freeway kind of messed with my senses.  I guess because I haven't walked very fast in the past week... and you wouldn't believe how messed up my senses are.  I mean, they cut out a ton of my neck.  I think it may be the pain drugs I'm on.  But seriously, moving my head too fast and turning the wheelchair too fast makes me dizzy let alone a car on the freeway.
So.  I'm home.  I got to sleep through the night last night!  No being awoken every 2 hours to get my vitals taken.  There have only been a couple problems since I've been home.  Last night I was taking my medicine before bed and kind of choked taking my first pill.  I think it broke and I inhaled some of the powder.  I just started coughing like crazy and during every breath I took the rest of the night I was wheezing like mad.  It really freaked me out.  I was convinced I had it down in my lungs.  I called the doctor that was on call and he said he was "pretty sure" I would be okay.  How perfect would that be?  I survive this major surgery, survive cancer, and die my first night home from a pill.  Of course that didn't happen... I am writing this blog... but it would have been kind of nuts, right?
Second problem... Today was largely spent with my sister in law, Lauren.  I spent a week in bed with the same bun on my head, and when I took it out the majority of my hair was in a knot.  Literally, a knot.  The core of it was hard as a rock.  Lauren spent 5 hours trying to get it out.  She used conditioner, other hair products, olive oil, knitting needles.... and she couldn't get the majority of the knot out.  She ended up cutting it out.  I didn't realize she cut it out until it was in front of my face, unattached to my head.  I had a minor freakout...  But she spent so much time and saved a ton of my hair still.  I'm so grateful for the time she spent.  I'm gonna get my haircut on Saturday. Hopefully they'll say they can turn the short part into layers and not have to cut all my hair up to my chin.  Let's be honest, nobody wants to see the flap on the back of my neck.
Okay.  My dad keeps huffing next to me because he is quite impatient.  It is time to do my neck exercises.  They're actually pretty hard right now...

1 comment:

  1. oh.... boy.... I am so sorry about the hair. I love the picture! I hope you can eventually laugh about it. What a nice sister-in-law to try to help you! But that is still so super duper sad!!!

    ReplyDelete